Wednesday, October 14, 2015

October 14 update

I am going to again participate in national novel writing November. Honestly, I had poor success last year. I am hoping that participating in the October platform challenge will help me have better success this year. The challenge has been making me think through my writing process differently.   Today's challenge was to set forth and create some kind of schedule or a time management plan. Not knowing what my future holds us I'm not sure that I can schedule X time every day at this point.  What I can do is monitor the amount of time I spent writing versus the time I spend reading and notetaking. Truthfully up until this point I would spend 80% of my time reading 10% of my time taking notes on what I've read 5% of my time outlining and then the last 5% on writing.  I'm not sure what the right balances but if I only have an hour that I can dedicate to creative pursuits the amount of time actually spent writing is minimal. I would like to work toward Half of the time being dedicated to reading and taking notes and then take the last half of the time and divided by 10% outlining and 40% writing.   If I try and work under these parameters instead of set schedules since my current schedule doesn't allow for that whether I have an hour or three hours if I follow this I ought to be able to guarantee more chunks of actual writing time.  That would mean for an hour I would have 24 minutes to write.  That would be a significant step up from where I am now. Honestly at this immediate moment even if I have three hours I might break it up that way were the first part of the hour is reading and then work my way through and only work in 24 minute increments until I build up my stamina enough writing that if I had a long block I could write for 96 minutes if I had four hours.    But I haven't figured out is whether that time should be solely dedicated to creating a draft or whether that time is the appropriate time to do things such as revision and editing.  

1 comment:

  1. I am participating in the October platform challenge also. It has been a challenge between learning how to use twitter and internet problems due to our storms coming through almost everyday and family. Now I am playing catch up. It has been fun. I hope for both of us we find what we a striving for, good luck in your venture.

    ReplyDelete