Friday, January 26, 2018

short story 2/365

What short story?
Kelly, The Flying Angel by Louise R. Hamm
Where can you get it?
Chicken Soup For The Kid’s Soul
What can you learn from it?

The author made sure to set up the importance of each character throughout the story so the end didn’t seem impossible.  The author kept the cast small allowing for character development where it counted.

My attempt at using this style.

Wayne met Lillian in elementary school and hadn’t talked to her since eighth grade.  He thought of her as he sat wet in a IHOP in a blizzard.  He wasn’t sure why he was thinking of her or her love of cats. He laid his head down and in a dream a phone number came to him. He asked to use the phone and called the number from his dream. 
            “Hello?”
            “Hey, this is embarrassing. This is Wayne.”
            “Oh my God! How are you?”
            “Bad.”
            “Why?”
            “I’m homeless.”
            “In this weather?”
           
            Lillian and her wife Bethany drove to pick up Wayne from the local IHOP and took them to their apartment.  Bethany pulled out the fold-a-bed and Wayne slept there.  After two days of Wayne watching Lillian and Bethany love on their three cats Wayne gathered his courage.
            “Lillian, Bethany, I need to ask you another favor.”
            “What is it honey,” Lillian asked.
            “When I got evicted I had a cat. He’s still in the house.”
            Bethany clenched her fists.
            Lillian touched her shoulder softly.
            Lillian asked, “So what are you asking?”
            “I’ve seen how you are with your cats. Would you take my cat Trogdor?”
            Bethany took a deep breath before speaking. “If we take Trogdor we will register him and he will become our cat.”
            Wayne recoiled. He sat in silence for a moment.
            Wayne finally said, “You’ve agreed to help me. I trust he’s safe with you. I couldn’t care for him even when I get place. I love him. It’s what’s best. Can I still visit when I move out?”

            Lillian and Bethany smiled and in unison said, “Of course.”

How about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment