Thursday, September 21, 2017

Sept 21st update

I have read the following   

            Another wonderful coming of age story. While Peter deals with changes and turmoil in his friendships he struggles with jealousy both in his family and between his friends.  I was perplexed by the author’s choice to make the climax only tangentially related to the protagonist, Peter. A really good story to read with your children, it will make you laugh and make your heart pound. 

Fudge-a-Mania (Fudge #4)
by Judy Blume (Goodreads Author)
            Judy Blume keeps the laughter coming with this book.  Fudge makes a new friend while Peter struggles with what feels like the loss of a friend.  This did seem to be the weakest of the Fudge books.  It was however a perfect set up for the last book in the series.

Double Fudge (Fudge #5)

by  (Goodreads Author)

A fabulous ending to a wonderful series. While many wish there would be more Fudge books including me because I want to see more of the characters, this book is really where the story should end.  The books come full circle in a humorous turn of events where fudge learns a lesson and really grows.  It’s interesting to ponder who the protagonist really is. While Peter tells the story and we get to watch him grow and develop Fudge does the most changing throughout the entire series.  A gripping series for all readers. This is a series I can’t wait to read to my future children.

I have worked on the following
             I’ve focused on reading broadening my horizons.  I’m disappointed to report my first book club experience was not what I hoped.  I attended two meetings and faced ageism and classism when despite my contributing to group discussion I along with the other woman my age were told not to return.  Interestingly enough I’ve joined another group of women actually more remove from me in age and spirituality and it seems to be fine. I’m joining another with my cousin and working to start another with the woman from the M3 book club to have an all inclusive book club that includes all ages, walks of life, and that will be co-ed.

I’m working on the following
            I’m working on researching for my screenplay and working on an intense piece for the Heartland News, all while I get used to my new job at the grocery store.
Thoughts
What are your thoughts on the narrator being a character in the book but not being the protagonist?
Do you think it’s ok for a story’s climax to only be tangentially related to the protagonist? If so why? Can you think of any examples where this worked for a piece of media?

Do you have any experiences where something like age or class has stopped you from doing something socially? I’m not asking about not being able to afford something rather where socially you were excluded.

No comments:

Post a Comment