Saturday, February 25, 2017

February 25th

I have read the following

Fear and Loathing In Las Vegas by Hunter S. Thompson, Ralph Steadman (Illustrator)
A wonderful display of Gonzo journalism.  Action packed and full of endless crazy antics, this is a book you won't be able to put down.  The ending did feel as if there wasn't closure but considering the characters, events, and style that's to be expected.  This work of journalism has some hidden gems as far as good writing examples are concerned.  The descriptions in this work are vivid and complete but they don't slow down the action.
            The screenplay to Bad Moms
            Prior to reading the screenplay I watched the movie.  I was interested in how the movie didn’t follow the screenplay in some places and yet followed it to a tee in others.  Action scenes were mapped out but comedic dialogue scenes were done with more comedy added during filming.  Unlike prose where present tense is frowned upon by some groups of writers and in some genres it is how the screenplays are written.  Since that’s been what I’ve been comfortable writing up to this point I won’t struggle as much with that transition. 
Devon Delaney Should Totally Know Better(Devon Delaney #2) by Lauren Barnholdt 
            Another exciting book by Lauren Barnholdt. Readers get to continue the gripping story of Devon as she grapples with insecurities, boys, and growing up.  The author does a great job of making sure each chapter ends with a mild cliff so readers want to keep going. Characters are distinct and never act out of turn.  With humor and situational comedy this book is a fun read for anyone. 
            The screenplay for Malcom in the Middle: New Neighbors
            There was a lot less description here. I assume that is due to it being a screenplay of a television show which already has sets and characters set up.   They pay extra attention to transition and exactly what to cut to since a television show which airs on non-streaming venues originally really only has between 21-24 minutes t tell the story,  unlike the movie screenplay there were more side stories despite the limited time. Of course this is because a movie is only two hours on average while a television show is hours and hours long, just spanning over many chapters.

 



I have worked on the following
             I finished the final scene of my NaNoWriMo 2016 story Grinder.  It didn’t hit the 50,000 words but the story was complete at 32771 words.
            I finished January’s Gwen and Brooke.
            Recipes for the Heartland News
I’m working on the following
            Preparing a piece to submit for participation in the 2017 Bits of Script
            I am working on a piece currently entitled Frank Frost’s second chance.

            I am trying to catch up on my annual goals since I got behind.

No comments:

Post a Comment